Sunday, May 13, 2012

Matéa Day

May 4th was our 3rd ‘Matéa Day’ and the first one we celebrated here in the USA. In Toowoomba the Lord brought along an incredible family: Mike & Christy Parker. They have 2 biological children and 2 adopted twins from Ethiopia. The 2 years we lived there she cooked us a huge Ethiopian Feast for Matéa Day and this year I missed them so deeply. Needless to say I had to step it up and try to come up with our own Ethiopian feast of sorts. I am finally trying to incorporate more Ethiopian culture into our family culture.
Cooked up some Injera (traditional sour bread/crepe you use as a base for your meal and to tear bits off and pick up each bite)
I then made Doro wat (chicken stew), Kik Alicha (yellow split peas) with Niter kibeh inside (a spiced butter), Shiro wat (peanut stew) then some avocados, tomatoes and some modified Ayib (and Ethiopian cheese, but i cheated and basically used cottage cheese to help tone down the spice of the Doro wat.)
My beautiful girl - your memory and thoughtfulness astound me. You are so funny and bring joy to people everywhere with your incredibly social nature. I know you will soon be giving me fashion advice. I’m so proud of you and proud to call you my daughter - God teaches me things through you everyday. Thank you for loving us and bringing such joy and life to our family....xox.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I love how you celebrate Matea day! Could I get some of your recipies?