Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring cookin

Lately I have been trying to push myself a bit in my culinary skills.
I reeeaaaaly want to incorporate more Ethiopian dishes in our weekly menu so decided to start with something called Fatira.
Wikipedia actually describes Fatira like this: Fatira consists of a large fried pancake made with flour, often with a layer of egg, eaten with honey for breakfast. As with all recipes it seems they get modified a bit. The recipe I used seemed more like a dinner dish to me so I gave it a go. It consisted of hamburger, cumin, onion, garlic and eggs...oh then you chop up 6 four tortillas and cook 'em all up in the spicy goodness.

It turned out pretty good. I then topped with tomatoes and avocados.

Because avocados are my favorite little ethiopian's delight!

A few weeks ago I went to Fu Bonn down on 82nd with my friend Janie - that place is GREAT! Wish it was closer. I picked up these noodles with a dream to make a dish called Laghman from the Xinjiang region.


It turned out pretty good - even my non-pasta loving boy dug in and slurped it up :)

Sweet Lu's diet is expanding as well as she's been getting use to some oats :)

I have had this bag of lentils in the pantry for sometime, waiting to find a good recipe and get better at cooking lentils. I chose an Indian curry lentil dish. Téa and I loved it, the boys, no so excited. Oh well - ya win some ya loose some right?

Then this morning my fabulous friend Olivia came over and tutored me in the art of making Jam! Honestly, Jam is something i have always wanted to learn, but felt like only real women make jam and it's pretty complicated. Thank you Olivia for your wisdom and help in this uncharted territory in my domestic life - i feel empowered now! Bring on summer and berries! (I say this while looking out our window at a few inches of SNOW!

So, even tho' I don't get to live overseas anymore I can feel more connected to the world by cooking dishes from Ethiopia, China, India and using berries from our dear Oregon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so so proud of you......your are a girl after her mom's heart!! love you