Saturday, October 27, 2012

aching hearts

Don't you love it when God gives you glimpses into His heart for you?
Man, I live for it!
Most always in a steady whisper His voice is sweeter than honey to my soul.
So...last week I was up in Lucy's room changing her nappy (sorry, we still use that Aussie term and doubt we'll ever change back:) Hudson comes in very upset about his best buddy, Sheriff Woody. "Momma, Woody's string came off".
Now Hudson is all about Superheros right now, but Woody, Buzz and Jesse have been his best friends for over a year now and have to sleep with him every night.
I don't remember who said it, but the idea was processed if we should throw Woody away now that his string was broken. Hudson seemed to decide that that is what had to happen. After breakfast he was sitting on the couch quietly, but with such a heavy heart. Tears welling up in his eyes...I sat next to him and asked what was wrong. "Momma, i don't want to throw Woody away." His heart was crushed and I was astonished how fast i felt the same pain in my heart - moved me to tears and to grab him up into my arms and just cry together. We decided that Woody would stay and still play even tho his string was broken and he couldn't talk anymore.

As I reflected on that emotion a bit later i heard God's voice, "Sweetheart, I feel your pain too when you are hurting. I ache with you over your grief." oh, what a crazy truth - our God feels! He knows our hearts and what makes them heavy. He grabs us up into His arms to comfort us and sits with us in our pain. Such a powerful truth.
Taking his 'friends' for a ride on his bike :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. We have such an amazing, loving, compassionate, gracious Father God, who knows the pain of losing a child, who comforts the broken-hearted, and who is never unavailable or disinterested.