Sunday, October 02, 2011

names

It's always a little intimidating to me to give something a name. Thankfully while growing up I was surrounded with cats, dogs and horses and I had the chance to name: cricket, puppy, tabbi, joker etc. With Matéa I had wanted to name her Maggie for the longest time as it complimented her given name of Meskerem (Amharic for Spring or New Year) pretty well. While listening to a story from my uncle he mentioned 'Matéa' from Slovenia and I knew that would be her name. It means 'Gift of God', the female form of Matthew. She loves it and most often introduces herself as Téa (Taya).
At the transition house in Addis

Hudson was challenging. I first considered the name in 2003 after reading Hudson Taylors Spiritual Secret - about abiding in Jesus. The actual name means: son of Hugh, but has links to Richard, which is cool as that is his paternal Grandfather's name. A while back I came across a quote from Hudson Taylor: "We are changed by beholding....." We were reminded again and again during my stressful pregnancy with Hudson to trust God, look to God, keep our eyes on Jesus no matter what the doctors said. I really believe God healed Hudson's heart and kidneys and allowed him to grow despite his 2 vessel cord and many soft markers for complications. Isaiah means: Yahweh is salvation, the Lord helps me.

So when it came to naming this new little girl we both first thought of a name we loved and have wanted to use since 2003. We were serving in Lithuania and a darling couple from the UK spent a week serving there. The wife's name was Lucy. Also we love the character of Lucy Pevensie from Narnia series. So without further delay we have chosen Lucy Elizabeth for our sweet one's name. Lucy means "Light" and Elizabeth means "God's promise". Elizabeth was also the mother of John the Baptist and had sucha powerful response when she met with her cousin Mary. Welcome to the world Lucy Hibbs!

2 comments:

The Green Family said...

LOVE it, Jen. Many congrats to your precious family!! She's BEAUTIFUL!!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to smooch lucy!! so sweet and tiny!! :) congratulations friends!!!