Friday, February 04, 2011

Just processing

It's been almost 4 weeks since the flooding started here in Toowoomba. There is still a bit of clean up happening here, but still so much to be done in the Lockyer and Brisbane. The video I'm trying to upload was taken on our drive to Nexus Conference the 16th of January. The area we filmed was once a tranquil little quiet stream and now, as you see, resembles more of a canyon. A few km before we came to this area we passed Grantham, which had 3 helicopters over it still searching for survivors. In the video you can see the Army also searching for survivors.

Then this week Cyclone Yasi came through northern Queensland. Natural disasters shake you. A week ago I was talking to a lady at church whose brother witnessed a family being washed away from the roof of their car. I asked her if he was able to process that with anyone and deal with the effects of seeing that happen. Her comment back to me was that their family doesn't really 'process' anything - just gets busy working on things. I would say that is a pretty common Aussie response. This morning I was watching an interview with a lady from the Red Cross up in Tully (where the eye of the Cyclone passed through). Her job was going house to house checking in with people. When the interviewer asked how she was doing - she said, 'yeah, I'm right', but in her eyes you could feel the pain as she has been absorbing so many other's pain as they have lost their home, family heirlooms, businesses, etc. The interviewer put his hand on her shoulder and she started weeping. Pray God will surround these people with His peace and true understanding of His character. Pray against pride. Pray tragedy brings unity and ultimately that people will come into a personal relationship with God.

I couldn't get our video to upload through Blogger so hopefully you can access it at this Link. (sorry about the background music).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thinking of you my friend. thanks for the post. miss you!